The plot of this crime thriller is so complicated it's tempting to phone the screenwriter to figure out his intentions. Detective Rem Macy's (Tom Berenger) his honorable career is jeopardized by his investigation into the death of a party girl named Melanie. Though the dead woman's soft-spoken roommate, Nikki (Lori Heuring), sees Macy as a protector, fellow-officer Beck (Pamela Gidley) and Macy's retired partner, Tiger (Soon-Tek Oh), don't buy her Little Miss Innocent act. Macy foolishly allows Nikki to move in with him, not realizing that she's part of a larger conspiracy. Macy sense that call-girl Melanie was killed to protect the Mayor and his influential cronies, but fails to see the extent of citywide corruption. First off, gang leader Benny Lee (Leo Lee) wanted a lucrative gaming license from City Hall; to finance his ambition, Benny siphoned off Triad gang funds. Although the late Melanie was sleeping with the Mayor's cronies, Benny's City Hall contact preferred the illegal-alien boys Benny's mobster pals supplied; Melanie's murder was just a hook on which to hang a blackmail scheme to extort money from Benny. After the conspirators slay Tiger, the grieving Macy becomes susceptible to Nikki's attempts at extortion and he justifies bending his own moral rules to rip off Benny because Benny was stealing from his associates. Unfortunately, someone powerful has been manipulating Benny, Macy and the gangland procurers; the intent has always been to frame Macy. Does Nikki know who's behind the plot? More important, will lonely cops ever learn not to shelter potential murderesses? This incredibly complicated scenario lacks a believable pay-off.
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Last Man Standing Renewed for Season 8
- 2. Let This Exclusive iZombie Key Art Get You Hyped for the Final Season
- 3. Someone Great Review: Gina Rodriguez Is Great, but the Movie Is Not
- 4. So, About That Time Jason Momoa Sent a Game of Thrones Showrunner to the Hospital
- 5. Where Does The Magicians Go After That Shocking and Unexpected Death?
- 6. Netflix's Tuca & Bertie Trailer Looks like Broad City with Birds
- 7. Homecoming Offers a Rare Glimpse at a Vulnerable (But Still Superhuman) Beyoncé