Gritty, well-acted slice of small-town Irish life doesn't exactly break new ground, but fine performances keep you watching. Fast-talking Trojan Eddie (Stephen Rea) uses his gift of the blarney to sell merchandise of questionable origin, hoping one
day to have his own shop. But Eddie is beholden to elderly local crime boss John Power (Richard Harris) -- a deceptively smooth thug who rules with an iron fist -- and always seems to be stuck in the middle of one of the endless petty deceptions, betrayals and feuds that keep the lowlife volatile.
Real trouble arises when Power sets his sights on a Traveller lass (the Travellers are Irish gypsies--poor, proud and always on the road) young enough to be his grand-daughter. The fresh-faced Kathleen (Aislin McGuckin) turns out to be a level-headed pragmatist, tired of the rootless life and
willing to marry an old man for his money and property while dallying with his handsome nephew Dermot (Stuart Townshend) on the side. Harris, his once-handsome face melted into a mask of slack-jawed lust, is the soul of the movie's quiet viciousness. But Rea carries most of the drama on his narrow
shoulders, scheming and squirming and trying to be everybody's pal and no one's enemy: It's a tribute to his skill and charm that he manages to make this small-time, no-account grifter as appealing as he does.
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Magicians Finale Killed Off the One Person We Never Expected
- 2. The Bold Type Cast Wants a Crossover Episode with Good Trouble
- 3. The Perfectionists' Hayley Erin Reveals Just How Alike Taylor and Alison Are
- 4. The Perfectionists Leaned Heavily Into Its Pretty Little Liars Roots This Week
- 5. Sansa Stark Goes Mean Girls on Dany in Our Ridiculous Dolls of Thrones Recap
- 6. Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage
- 7. Jeopardy! Host Alex Trebek Gives Health Update Following Cancer Diagnosis: 'I'm Feeling Good'