A lively comedy which more than successfully makes the transition from Broadway stage play to the screen, thanks to the talents of director LeRoy and star McHugh. The film follows the exploits of McHugh, a writer of greeting cards, who is referred to throughout as "Oiwin," a bastardization
of his real name, Erwin. It is soon discovered that McHugh has a remarkable talent for predicting the outcomes of horse races. Bettors Levene, Hart, and Kennedy are quite aware of the financial reward that McHugh's talents offer, and before long the thoroughbred prophet is abducted and forced to
pick the winners. While he is holed up in a hotel room, his cranky boss, Kibbee, desperately tries to get him back to work before the Mother's Day greeting card crunch. Kibbee tries all he can, even raising McHugh's salary, but his release comes only after his captors break an unbreakable
rule--bringing McHugh to the racetrack. To test McHugh's predictions, his captors force him to bet on his own tip, thereby rendering his talents useless. It's all a great deal of fun, albeit wholly unbelievable, but with McHugh's gift for farce and Blondell's role as a "Film Fun" cover girl, THREE
MEN ON A HORSE is a pleasure. However, if it's horse racing scenes you're looking for, this film doesn't have much to offer. The publicity photo doesn't even include a real horse (nor does it include three men), but a wooden one on top of which sit McHugh, Blondell, and Hughes.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. There's Another Bundle of Joy Coming to Grey's Anatomy
- 2. The Good Place Revealed Another Bad Place Spy, and It's Not Who We Expected
- 3. Modern Love Review: Amazon's Anthology Might Disappoint Longtime Fans of the Column
- 4. Power's Naturi Naughton Is 'Nervous' for Tasha Following LaKeisha's Murder
- 5. Potential Clueless Reboot Panders to Millennials In the Bleakest Way Possible
- 6. American Horror Story: 1984 Will Be the Show's Shortest Season Yet
- 7. Kurt Sutter Fired From FX's Mayans M.C.