A remake of the 1926 silent, THREE FACES EAST cast von Stroheim as a German spy living as a butler in the English household of Holden. His cover is blown by Bennett, a British spy who is sent to stop his operation, eventually shooting him in the back. This was only von Stroheim's second
acting role after his demise as a director. He had appeared previously in THE GREAT GABBO. With this picture, however, von Stroheim was given the okay to suggest changes in the script, an idea that tasted bitter in the mouths of director Del Ruth and star Bennett. Both wanted nothing to do with
the one-time great director, with Bennett loudly voicing her protests and screaming for mouthwash after shooting kissing scenes with him. While the dislike for him was growing stronger, prospects for directorial work still lingered, but only the botched HELLO SISTER would make it to the screen.
Filmed again in 1940 as BRITISH INTELLIGENCE starring Boris Karloff.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Mindy Kaling's New Netflix Show Could Fill the One Day at a Time Void in Your Life
- 2. Last Man Standing Exclusive: Eve Gets Tough with the Baxters' Foreign Exchange Student
- 3. Hanna Review: Now This Is How You Turn a Movie Into a TV Series
- 4. Lizzy Caplan and Elsie Fisher Will Step Into a Stephen King Classic in Castle Rock Season 2
- 5. Everything to Know About The Sopranos Movie, Newark
- 6. Jane the Virgin Boss Previews Michael's Return: 'It Affects the Whole Season'
- 7. One Day at a Time and Sex Education Are Helping Immigrants and Their Queer Kids Bridge the Generational Gap