The subject of awakening adolescent sexuality has often been explored by filmmakers around the world. This bittersweet comedy from Spain takes a look at one boy's initiation to passion, setting the story within a sanitarium for young boys. Sanz is a handsome 15-year-old youth who is sent
to the institution with his younger brother. They've been placed there by a their older brother who can no longer look after the orphaned boys since he is a soldier fighting in WW II. Sanz is attracted to Verdu a nurse who is only a few years older than he, and they begin a clandestine affair.
Sanz offers a sensitive performance, nicely mixing adolescent arrogance with a sense of innocence. His chemistry with Verdu is endearing as the two naive teenagers enter their tentative romance. Trueba directs with an appealing sincerity, while injecting some welcome touches of humor into the
affair. Unfortunately, There is a certain predictability to the film that slightly undermines Trueba's obviously good intentions.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. What's Leaving Hulu in March
- 2. How to Make the Oscars More Bearable
- 3. What's Coming to Hulu in March 2019
- 4. Jussie Smollett To Be Arrested for Filing a False Police Report
- 5. Jeremiah Reunites Bruce with His Dead Parents in this Gotham Sneak Peek
- 6. Last Man Standing Sneak Peek: Mike and Ryan Actually Agree About Capitalism (and Weed)
- 7. Sophia Bush Is Coming to Jane the Virgin's Final Season To Stir Things Up