This beautifully animated tale combines Hans Christian Andersen's stories "The Red Shoes" and "The Poor Little Match Girl." Little Hans is depressed because he cannot go to the opera. He is visited by the sympathetic Uncle Oley the Sandman, who provides Hans' father with some magic red
leather with which to make a pair of shoes for a contest. The shoes take first prize, but the shifty mayor cheats the shoemaker out of his winnings. Refusing to give up, Hans takes a number of odd jobs and earns enough money to buy an opera ticket. Before he pays for it, however, Hans sees his
friend Elisa, who has been forced by poverty to sell matches outside the theater. Instead of seeing the performance, Hans spends all his money on her matches and passes the evening spinning yarns for the crowd outside the theater. When the governor overhears the stories, he is so impressed he
makes Hans his ward. A great heartwarmer for the kids.
Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage
Every recap, review, ranking, explainer, and fan theory you need
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Here's What's New on Netflix in May
- 2. A Star Trek Animated Series Is Headed to Nickelodeon
- 3. What's Leaving Netflix in May
- 4. The Perfectionists' Sydney Park Weighs In on Caitlin's Hit and Run Suspects
- 5. The Bold Type Cast Talks That Tough Consent Storyline and Cancel Culture
- 6. Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage
- 7. Hot Take Debate: Does Game of Thrones Need to Stop Killing Kids?