THE THREE MUSKETEERS is a rollicking version of the oft-filmed Dumas classic, with Gene Kelly playing the role of D'Artagnan with great panache. The film opens as D'Artagnan leaves his country home for Paris, to join the famed Musketeers. He proves his ability in a duel with Athos (Van
Heflin) and adopts the "one for all and all for one" motto, joining the Musketeers in serving King Louis XIII (Frank Morgan). Prime Minister Richelieu (Vincent Price) plots to end the king's reign, enlisting Louis's mistress, Lady de Winter (Lana Turner), in his evil scheme. The Musketeers,
however, are not about to let that happen.
Kelly is a sheer delight, attacking the swashbuckling story with enormous zest. His acrobatics are a sight to behold, a marvelous extension of his much loved dancing skills. This was Kelly's favorite role in his nonmusical films, and he had hoped his performance here would convince MGM to let him
do a musical version of "Cyrano de Bergerac." Alas, it didn't. The supporting cast is marvelous, especially Morgan in a wonderful portrayal of King Louis XIII.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Chicago Police Seek to Interview Jussie Smollett Again After Two Suspects Released
- 2. Donald Trump Calls Saturday Night Live a 'Total Republican Hit Job' After National Emergency Sketch
- 3. 7 Burning Questions The Umbrella Academy Season 2 Needs to Answer
- 4. The 12 Biggest Differences Between Netflix's Umbrella Academy and the Comics
- 5. Every Actor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Who Has Been Nominated for an Oscar
- 6. Bugs Do Their Own Exterminating on The Blacklist
- 7. The First Descendants 3 Teaser Is Here and It's Straight-Up Villainous Fun