Unable to load clip
The selected clip is currently unabled to be loaded.
Sidney Rittenberg (whose Chinese name is Li Dunbai) arrived in China as a GI Chinese language expert at the end of World War II. Discharged there, he joined the Chinese Communist Party, and was an active participant in the Chinese communist revolution and its aftermath. An intimate of the Party's leadership, including Mao Zedong and Zhou Enlai, he gained prominence at the Broadcast Administration, one of the most important agencies of government. But in the convulsions of a giant country constantly reinventing itself, he twice ran afoul of the leadership, and served a total of 16 years in solitary confinement. He returned to the United States in 1980. Rittenberg captivates the audience with his exceptional intellect, uncompromising honesty, and engaging personality. Over a five-year period, award-winning former-CBS journalist and China specialist, Irv Drasnin, interviewed Rittenberg to produce a compelling, complex and unique understanding of the 20th century's biggest revolution. From Sid first meeting Mao in the caves of Yan'an, to his becoming famous and powerful during the Cultural Revolution, to his battling insanity in solitary, his journey and his profound insight illuminate a much greater history--a history few Chinese are aware of, let alone many Americans, told by an American who was there.
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Tom Holland Teamed With Stephen Colbert to Rescue Dogs Because Superheroes Are Real
- 2. How to Watch the First 2020 Democratic Debates
- 3. These Big Little Lies Stars Will Reunite for Ryan Murphy's The Prom
- 4. The Hills Fans Can't Get Over How Hot Justin Bobby Still Is
- 5. The Bachelorette Made Us Fall Even Deeper in Love With Tyler
- 6. Here's How to Watch the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup
- 7. That Scream Reboot You Totally Forgot About Is Finally Happening