Costello made this, his only film without longtime partner Bud Abbott, after his bitter split-up with his straight man. The picture is basically a one-joke comedy, the theme being that "size isn't everything," with the sexually suggestive subject muted sufficiently to make it suitable for
younger audiences. Mixing science fiction with domestic farce--much like its precursor, THE ATTACK OF THE 50-FOOT WOMAN (1958)--the plot deals with the invention by independent garbage collector Costello invention of a time machine (Conlin) crafted from bits of junk. When girl friend Provine
wanders into a canyon known as Dinosaur Springs, strange forces cause her to grow to the title height. Costello attempts to explain her plight to her father, Gordon, the town's capitalist despot, who controls all local industries save for Costello's minuscule enterprise. Misconstruing Costello's
reference to Provine's "increased size," Gordon forces the confused Costello to marry his monstrous daughter. Ultimately, the time machine--which shares its creator's confusion--sets things right, but only after the town is mistakenly terrorized and military forces are called into action. The
basic comedy idea by Rabin and Block is expressed in the difficulties experienced by the loving but size-mismatched newlyweds during their initial domestic days. The picture was advertised as being lensed in "Wonderama" and "Mattascope," which appear to be nothing more than conventional matte
processes. This is fairly funny and, without the services of Abbott, less frantically paced than most Costello vehicles. Costello died shortly before the film's release.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. Did True Detective Just Reveal The Season 3 Killer?
- 2. Baywatch on Amazon Prime Will Heat Up Your Winter
- 3. Here's What to Stream Before Gillian Anderson Arrives on The Crown
- 4. Pete Davidson Returns to SNL to Talk a Bit About Mental Health but Mostly The Mule
- 5. Saturday Night Live Spoofs the Shutdown with Deal or No Deal Parody
- 6. At Long Last, the American Gods Season 2 Trailer Is Here
- 7. Happy Super Blood Wolf Moon! Here's a Ranking of the Best TV Werewolves