This virtual remake of the teenage angst epic PRETTY IN PINK overcomes its lack of originality via an interesting gender change and superior performances. Quiet, shy, and an aspiring artist from the wrong side of the tracks, Keith Nelson (Eric Stoltz) is in love from afar with Amanda Jones
(Lea Thompson), a beautiful girl who is part of the preppy crowd at school. What Keith fails to realize, however, is that his best friend since childhood, tomboy drummer Watts (Mary Stuart Masterson), has blossomed into a winsome young woman herself and has a desperate crush on him. While SOME
KIND OF WONDERFUL deserves some healthy contempt for its cribbed screenplay, the superb performances simply overpower the usual mannerisms of producer-writer John Hughes. Stoltz turns in a restrained, realistic performance, and Thompson is quite good in what could easily have become a thankless
role. But far and away, this is Masterson's film. An amazingly mature young actress, Masterson skillfully brings subtlety, depth, and nuance to her character.
- 1. Rufus Lives in the Timeless Series Finale Trailer!
- 2. 4 Theories about the Gargoyle King on Riverdale That Sound Pretty Legit
- 3. 23 Easter Eggs in the Arrowverse 'Elseworlds' Crossover You May Have Missed
- 4. Amazon Prime's January Lineup Makes It Easy To Prepare For Oscar Season
- 5. Last Man Standing Recruits Tisha Campbell for a Familiar Role
- 6. Charlie Brown and the Peanuts Gang Are Coming to Apple
- 7. The CW Really Wants to Make Chris Wood Happen