In Hayward's first major role, she portrays the character that was to become her trademark: the fallen woman struggling to come back. She was nominated for an Academy Award for her vivid performance here as a successful nightclub singer who sacrifices her career when she marries Bowman,
also a singer and songwriter. She uses her connections to get him started, and Bowman's popularity quickly grows. Meanwhile, Hayward gives birth to a baby daughter and spends time in their newly acquired country home. Bowman's career continues to flourish, keeping him away from home often.
Depressed, Hayward takes greater and greater solace in alcohol. Eventually becoming too wrapped up in jealousy and alcohol to think clearly, she physically attacks Bowman's secretary, Hunt, at a party. Bowman sues for divorce and demands custody of their daughter. A desperate Hayward makes one
last attempt to keep her family together by kidnaping her daughter, only to almost lose the child by carelessly starting a fire. This occurrence shocks Hayward into taking steps to get back on her feet. Hayward is magnificent in her role, which combines elements of THE LOST WEEKEND and A STAR IS
BORN. Unfortunately, Bowman is miscast as her husband.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. How Michael Kelly Was Able to Finally Say Goodbye to House of Cards' Doug Stamper
- 2. Peter Fonda, Star of Easy Rider, Dead at 79
- 3. Here's What's Coming to Amazon in September
- 4. How To Watch the 2019 Emmy Nominated Shows Without A Cable Subscription
- 5. These Are the Real-Life Murderers of Mindhunter Season 2
- 6. Silicon Valley's Final Season Now Has a Premiere Date and a Trailer
- 7. Behold! Our Totally Reasonable Wish List for Gallavich in Shameless Season 10