Charles Laughton plays Charles Saggers, a London street entertainer who befriends Lilly (Vivien Leigh), a street urchin. She engages in minor theft to keep herself alive, but Charles--after catching her in the act--takes pity on Lilly and makes her part of his act. Lilly is spotted by
impresario Harley Prentiss (Rex Harrison) and is catapulted to fame in the British music hall. Unable to forget the man who saved her, she seeks out Charles to help him get into the big time. He, however, declines her offer; the busker's life is the only life for him. The film evocatively captures
the gaiety of London street life, and the direction carries the story along nicely, carefully drawing out the characters.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. Sabrina's Kiernan Shipka Will Star In a Netflix Holiday Rom-Com From John Green
- 2. How to Watch the Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Premiere Red Carpet
- 3. Riverdale Is Doing Another Musical - And Yes, Jughead Is Singing!
- 4. Amazon Prime's February Line-Up Features Jordan Peele's Lorena Bobbitt Docuseries and More
- 5. American Vandal's Melvin Gregg Stars in Netflix B-Ball Drama Movie High Flying Bird
- 6. Grey's Anatomy's Sandra Oh and Kevin McKidd Had a Moment After the Golden Globes
- 7. Schitt's Creek Season 5 Is Moira's Moment, Peasants