In Shanghai during the 1930s two women become close friends. The intense friendship borders on the sexual, though this is left ambiguous. Finally one of the two marries, leaving the other to choose her own path. The film's slightly surrealistic style and evocative score suggest memories
rather than actual events and powerfully convey the characters' emotions. Director Stephen, who plays one of the protagonists, was originally from Hong Kong but emigrated to Canada. Shot on location in Paris, the film achieves an authentic look of the Orient.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. We Demand Justice for Old Knight, The OA's Telepathic Octopus
- 2. The Best Romance Shows and Movies to Stream on Netflix Right Now
- 3. What's Fact and Fiction in Netflix's Mötley Crüe Biopic The Dirt?
- 4. The Blacklist Gets the Band Back Together
- 5. Patricia Arquette's Kids Didn't Want Her to Star in Hulu's True Crime Story The Act
- 6. Queer Eye's Karamo Brown Reveals How He Gets That Emotional Breakthrough With Each 'Hero'
- 7. Aidy Bryant Takes Us Behind Filming Shrill's Empowering Fat Babe Pool Party