First-time director Lisa Gottlieb turned in an interesting switch on the teenage-comedy genre with JUST ONE OF THE GUYS. Shot near Scottsdale, Arizona, the film sees a bright young high school girl, Joyce Hyser, turned down for a journalism internship at the local newspaper. At first
Hyser is convinced she was discriminated against because of her gender, but her teacher stresses she lost because her contest entry was too dull. Determined to prove herself a crackerjack investigative reporter, Hyser, disguised as a boy, enrolls in another nearby high school to see how the other
half lives. With help from her younger brother, Billy Jacoby, Hyser learns how to walk, talk, and think like a teenage boy. Because of her obviously effeminate appearance, Hyser is ostracized by most of the other guys, but she finds friendship with a loner, Clayton Rohner. Of course, most of the
male-female situations Terry finds herself in are played for laughs, and the film eventually sinks into an all too typical conclusion, but the observations regarding the nature of sexuality are interesting and well handled.
- 1. Justice for Chris Parnell, the Best Supporting Chris
- 2. Hail Satan, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Is Renewed Through Season 4
- 3. Fresh Prince Star Alfonso Ribeiro Sues Fortnite for Stealing Carlton Dance
- 4. Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jimmy Fallon Put a Holiday Spin on Ariana Grande and Cardi B Hits
- 5. Someone's Got a New Wife on The Big Bang Theory
- 6. How to Watch All the New Year's Day College Football Bowl Games
- 7. 2018-2019 TV Scorecard: Which Shows Are Canceled? Which Are Renewed?