Oh, the tragedy of hipness! To love CARRIE and HEATHERS, exploitation-era Carol Kane and Pam Grier, to have a star who can rope boyfriend Marilyn Manson into a stylishly sleazy cameo, to be able to reimagine Frankenstein's monster as a plain high
school girl who gets the mother of all makeovers! Darren Stein's attitude credentials are firmly in order; unfortunately, he doesn't have the moxie to execute the classic conjurer's trick: passing off smoke and mirrors as something substantial. The un-cool students of Reagan High, teenage peasants
with lumpy figures and clueless clothes, tremble in terror as the school's aristocrats stride by on their sky-high heels. Courtney Shayne (Rose McGowan), Julie Freeman (Rebecca Gayheart), Marcie "Foxy" Fox (Julie Benz) and Liz Purr (Charlotte Roldan) are the anointed ones, beautiful, haughty,
fashionable, and wickedly secure in the knowledge of their own astounding perfection. Their reign of fabulousness is threatened, however, by the grotesque demise of Liz -- ironically, the nicest of the quartet -- during a mean-spirited birthday prank orchestrated by her friends. Courtney, doing
her best to live up to the nickname "Satan in high heels," persuades the others that best course of action is to make Liz's death look like a sex murder and deny everything. But enough: The movie's gossamer-thin plot, padded with dream sequences and flashbacks to scenes you saw less than an hour
earlier, exists only as an excuse for obvious homages to better films, stunt casting -- Grier as Detective Vera Cruz, William Katt and PJ Soles (he took Carrie to the prom, she was murdered in HALLOWEEN) as Liz's parents, and the like -- and what pass for clever remarks in circles unfamiliar with
real wit. It all looks great, but really... who cares?
- 1. Nina Dobrev Is Too Busy to Be on Legacies, but She Loves That You Love It
- 2. Put Some Respect on Chris Tucker's Name
- 3. Where All the People from Netflix's The Innocent Man Are Now
- 4. A Plea to Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 2: More Witchcraft, Less Romance
- 5. Rufus Lives in the Timeless Series Finale Trailer!
- 6. 4 Theories about the Gargoyle King on Riverdale That Sound Pretty Legit
- 7. 23 Easter Eggs in the Arrowverse 'Elseworlds' Crossover You May Have Missed