A disillusioned millionaire, Baxter, stands aboard his yacht on the verge of suicide when he hears the cries of Lorre, a bum who has just taken a death leap into the water. Baxter saves Lorre's life and proceeds to tell the bum that he, Baxter, is constantly sponged off of by everyone he
knows. He says he will give a million francs to anyone who treats him kindly, without regard to his pocketbook. When the skeptical Lorre awakens the next morning, he finds Baxter gone and his ragged bum clothes missing. In return, the millionaire has left his own wardrobe and a roll of 100 franc
notes as compensation. Lorre spreads the tale to anyone who'll listen, and hobos from all over the country wander the area when the townsfolk begin giving the royal treatment to everyone with tattered clothes. The millionaire eventually marries Weaver, a circus performer, and donates the
million-franc purse to the entire community. Lorre and Carradine carry the show, delivering wonderful performances as tramps.
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Bane Is Coming for Babs in This Gotham Sneak Peek
- 2. Schitt's Creek Renewed for Sixth and Final Season
- 3. Everything We Know About Black Mirror Season 5
- 4. Steven Universe Beautifully Fosters Non-Binary Self-Love Without Being Too Preachy
- 5. TV Still Struggles with Body-Positive Sex, But Shrill Is a Big Step Forward
- 6. Lifetime's She's Too Young Was a Sex Ed Cult Classic That Deserves More Respect
- 7. Courteney Cox Revisited Her Friends Apartment and We Couldn't Be Any More Nostalgic