Intrigue comes in epic proportions in this US versus Russia arctic battle. Hudson is the commander of a super submarine sent on a reconnaissance mission to locate a downed Soviet satellite containing photographs of US and Russian missile sites. En route the sub is damaged, and everyone is
suspect--British officer McGoohan, Soviet defector Borgnine, and US captain Brown. When they reach their destination--Ice Station Zebra, a North Pole weather station--Hudson and crew find nothing but fire-gutted buildings and frozen corpses. Borgnine and Brown, both suspicious of each other, sort
out their differences with their fists, and when McGoohan sees them fighting he shoots Brown, assuming he is the saboteur. Russian paratroopers descend on the area, and Borgnine shows his true character by handing over the satellite to the Reds. McGoohan, to right his earlier wrong, strangles the
deceptive commie. Hudson, however, destroys the capsule and the photographs inside, at least preventing the enemy from getting them. He then makes a pact with the Russian commander, Kjellin, to publicize the incident as a friendly cooperative effort between nations. Photographed in Super
Panavision and projected in Cinerama, Daniel L. Fapp's cinematography (much of it brilliantly depicting the environment under polar ice) went on to receive an Academy Award nomination, along with Millar and Johnson for Best Special Visual Effects.
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Say It Isn't So: Supernatural Will End After Season 15
- 2. HBO Is Bringing Back Perry Mason, and This Time He F*cks
- 3. We Need to Talk About That OA: Part II Ending
- 4. The Conners Is Coming Back for Season 2
- 5. Everything I Learned About Sex, I Learned From Black '90s Sitcoms
- 6. The Sex in Now Apocalypse Is Concerned with Liberation, Not Labels
- 7. Stranger Things Is a Stealth Blueprint for Successfully Navigating Puberty