This Australian story of mother and child reunion reteams the star (Judy Davis) and director (Gillian Armstrong) of the outstanding MY BRILLIANT CAREER. Davis, a back-up singer for an Elvis impersonator, is given the sack at the end of a tour of provincial Australian towns. Unable to pay
for the repair of her car, she is stuck in Eden, a tiny fishing village. She rents a tiny house trailer in a park where her mother-in-law, Adele, lives with Karvan, the daughter Davis abandoned years before when her young husband died. At first, she doesn't recognize the quiet teenage surfer as
her daughter, but when she runs into Adele, Davis makes the connection. Adele wants her daughter-in-law to leave immediately and demands that she not tell Karvan that she is her mother. However, Davis is drawn to the girl and Karvan to her. Though each step of Davis' struggle toward self-awareness
is painstakingly conveyed, stages in the emotional development of other characters are missing. However, despite flaws, the script is generally engaging.
- 1. Riverdale: What the Actual Hell Is Hiram Up To?
- 2. Power Boss Honors 'Beloved' Crew Member Killed in On-Set Accident
- 3. At Long Last, Jeffrey Dean Morgan Is Headed Back to Supernatural!
- 4. Miley Cyrus Confirms She's Going to Be in Black Mirror Season 5
- 5. What to Stream the Weekend of Dec. 14
- 6. The Cast and Creators of Good Trouble Tease Callie and Mariana's Sexy Fresh Start
- 7. A Million Little Things Bumps a Shondaland Show in New ABC Lineup