Melodramatic but sensitively told tale of Takamine, a deaf-mute woman who returns to her mother's home after the death of her husband in WW II. There she meets Kobayashi, a deaf-mute man, and they fall in love. Kobayashi convinces the wary Takamine that together they can surmount their
handicaps and build a successful life. Takamine overcomes her fears and marries Kobayashi, but their life is indeed unhappy. Their first child dies in infancy. Takamine's evil brother sells his mother's house, forcing the old woman to live with the deaf-mute couple. When a second child is born,
Takamine's mother gives the couple a gold ring to sell so that they can start a business. Things begin to look up for the pair until the brother returns and sells the sewing machine. Having reached her breaking point, Takamine goes off to commit suicide, but Kobayashi talks her out of it. When
spring arrives, the couple's hopes are raised by the announcement that their son has graduated with honors from elementary school. That same day Takamine is visited by an orphan whose life she saved during the war. Takamine finally realizes that, despite her handicap, her life has not been without
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Game of Thrones Photo Recap: Arya Gets It in Despite Having Zero Game
- 2. Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, and More Stars Looking Super at the Avengers: Endgame Premiere
- 3. Better Call Saul May End After Season 6
- 4. Here's How To Watch the Avengers: Endgame Premiere Livestream
- 5. The Trailer for Gotham's Series Finale Is Here, With 100 Percent More Batman
- 6. Here's How Antonio, Connor, and Ava Might Leave One Chicago
- 7. Which Game of Thrones Characters Are Most Likely to Die Fighting the White Walkers?