This glossy children's musical stars Danny Kaye as the beloved Danish author of fairy tales whose rise to literary prominence is detailed here in a totally fabricated manner. Most adults will squirm during the syrupy proceedings but kids seem to like it just fine.
This movie was something of an obsession for producer Samuel Goldwyn, who had been announcing production of the project for nearly 15 years, only to have it delayed time and time again. After paying a king's ransom for 16 different screenplays, Goldwyn finally found one he liked, and production
began. Luckily, Goldwyn's dream paid off big at the box office, as HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN grossed $6 million and eventually ranked as Goldwyn's third biggest moneymaker (behind THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and GUYS AND DOLLS). Kaye is wonderful and the enjoyable songs include "Inchworm" and
"Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen."
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Manifest Boss Breaks Down That Finale Shocker and What it Means for Season 2
- 2. The Bachelor Recap: Still No Fence Jump, but Plenty of Drama
- 3. Kenan Thompson Says Kel Mitchell Will Appear in All That Revival
- 4. Veep Season 7 Trailer: Selina Meyer Is Back on the Campaign Trail!
- 5. Netflix Cancels Marvel's Jessica Jones – But Will Stream Season 3
- 6. Netflix Cancels Marvel's The Punisher Just Like You Knew It Would
- 7. Twitter Was Here for Sasha Banks and Bayley's Historic WWE Tag Team Championship Win