Trite melodrama set in the Barbary Coast circa 1906-1933 features Chatterton as the orphaned daughter of a kindly saloonkeeper (her parents were killed in the San Francisco earthquake) who rises to become the madame of a popular bordello. Along the way she bears an illegitimate son whom
she gives away to rich parents. As the years go by Chatterton becomes one of the driving forces in the San Francisco underworld, but to her dismay her son grows up to become a crusading district attorney committed to wiping out all crime. Chatterton's lieutenant Calhern decides the only way to
stop this law-and-order binge is to eliminate the district attorney, but Chatterton kills him before he can carry out his assassination. Ironically, the district attorney sends Chatterton to the gallows for the murder, and she goes to her fate without ever revealing her identity to her son.
Unbelievable storyline helped by good production and direction.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Here's the Game of Thrones Season Maisie Williams Thinks Fans Should Revisit Ahead of Season 8
- 2. The Resident and 9-1-1 Renewed for Season 3 at Fox
- 3. 6 Totally Plausible Theories About How Game of Thrones Could End
- 4. Here's Your First Look at Uma Thurman and Tony Goldwyn's New Netflix Horror Series Chambers
- 5. The Walking Dead's Latest Victims Say Goodbye and Thank You to Fans
- 6. Doctor Who's Martha Jones Deserves a Better Legacy Than the One She Got
- 7. A Salute to TV's Most Underrated Female Characters