The angst of yuppiedom. Benjamin, one of the great film twits of our time, portrays a money-mad attorney who bullies his wife, Snodgress, to the point where she takes a lover, Langella. Soon enough Snodgress discovers Langella is every bit the twit Benjamin is, just a different sort of
twit. Langella is self-centered and will play only with committed women because he is unable to commit himself. The plot takes Snodgress into several diverting episodes and culminates when she divests herself of both husband and lover and seeks solace in group therapy, only to learn that happiness
doesn't reside in psychiatry, either.
The three leads are excellent. Benjamin has been seen in many films as the consummate ass: THE MARRIAGE OF A YOUNG STOCKBROKER, THE SUNSHINE BOYS, LOVE AT FIRST BITE, THE STEAGLE, and as the ultimate nerd in PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT. Langella played the cad in a few more films and eventually the lead
in John Badham's DRACULA. Snodgress was nominated for an Oscar for her role in this film, the highpoint of her career and the only nomination this rather slight picture received.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Hope's Former Flame on The Originals Will Appear on Legacies
- 2. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – Paddleton, Chef's Table
- 3. WWE's Roman Reigns Is Returning to Monday Night Raw With an Update on His Leukemia Diagnosis
- 4. Review: ABC's New Spy Show Whiskey Cavalier Is Adequate Background Noise
- 5. A Netflix Movie or Head Trip? Working Through Paris Is Us
- 6. All the Easter Eggs in Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone Trailer
- 7. Netflix Renews Hill House as Anthology Series with The Haunting of Bly Manor