A straight-faced throwback to the glory days of mutant wildlife on the rampage, this small-scale shocker pits a flock of way-too-smart bats against the residents of tiny Gallup, TX. The first hint that something's amiss comes when two teens are ripped
to bits in their car. Enter weirdo researcher Dr. McCabe (Bob Gunton) and Dr. Hodge (Carlos Jacott) of the Centers for Disease Control. They seem to know altogether too much about what's going on, and are remarkably reluctant to share it with local lawman Sheriff Kimsey (Lou Diamond Phillips) or
visiting bat expert Dr. Sheila Casper (Dina Meyer). Turns out there's not all that much to know; McCabe has created a race of oversized, ultra-intelligent, hyper-aggressive super bats (Why? "Because I can!" he cackles) and they're on the loose in Southern Texas, getting in people's hair and then ripping their scalps off. If the bats spread, everybody's going to be very, very sorry. You may be having a flashback right about now to NIGHTWING or CHOSEN SURVIVORS, because let's face it there are only so many ways you can spin "us vs. the killer flying chihuahuas." The special effects bats are pretty amazing, though it may not have been a good idea to show them in close-up so often; real bats don't look real in close up (you know, nature's gargoyles), let alone fake ones no matter how carefully and accurately constructed. And once the little beasts start crawling into cars through the exhaust pipes with malevolent intent and dive-bombing people in convenience stores, it's hard not to think of GREMLINS.
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Stephen Amell Is Open to Playing Oliver Queen in Later Arrowverse Installments
- 2. How to Watch Game of Thrones: The Last Watch
- 3. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – She's Gotta Have It, Rim of the World
- 4. Is The Society Renewed for Season 2?
- 5. The Week in Superlatives: Least Expected Burn, Best Kept Secret, and the Randomest Mic Drop
- 6. Adam Levine on Leaving The Voice: 'For Me, It Was Time to Move On'
- 7. Rim of the World Review: Stranger Things Rip-Off Is Dumb, but Watchable