Former Andy Warhol actress, 1960's underground figure, and experienced stage actress Kirkland co-stars with Czechoslovakian supermodel Porizkova in this reworking of ALL ABOUT EVE. Porizkova is a Czech waif dressed in rags who leaves her homeland without money or a command of the English
language. She arrives in New York City with a picture of "Anna"--a superstar Czech actress exiled during the communist invasion of 1968. When Porizkova tracks down Anna, played by Kirkland, she finds her idol struggling to get work off-Broadway. Kirkland and Porizkova find strength in one another
and before long the little Czech waif is a tres chic actress who speaks perfect English.
A first feature from Bogayevicz, co-scripted with Agnieszka Holland (director of the 1986 German film ANGRY HARVEST), and budgeted at under $1 million, ANNA received a limited release in 1987, coupled with film festival showings in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco. Porizkova's film debut was
highly praised while the Los Angeles Film Critics Association honored Kirkland and Holly Hunter (BROADCAST NEWS) as the year's best actresses. Kirkland also got recognition from the Academy, with a Best Actress Oscar nomination (won by Cher for MOONSTRUCK).
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Most-Watched Netflix Originals, By the Numbers
- 2. Netflix's 2019 Originals: A Complete Guide
- 3. Dani Cares for Bright After an Accidental Drug Trip in Prodigal Son Sneak Peek
- 4. Helena Bonham Carter Will Not Take a Backseat to Olivia Colman in The Crown Season 3 Trailer
- 5. Best TV of the Decade: The Shows, Moments, and Trends That Defined the 2010s
- 6. The 25 Best Shows of the Decade
- 7. FX and FXX Had the Best Decade of Any Networks