After Chicago mob enforcer Tony (Kyle Chandler) shows lethal promise, his capo, Uncle Vinnie (Jon Polito), foots the bill for his intensive training by Rossellini (Jim Belushi), L.A. affiliate. Cocky Tony disparages the crash course, which entails target practice, Nietzsche 101, and a practice hit. At random, Rossellini selects Angel (Sheryl Lee), a mortuary cosmetician who happens to be mentally ill. Fond of confiding her wet dreams to a priest, this suicidal young woman is stunned when Tony shoots a bottle of medicine out of her hand. When she learns that the police have linked the recovered bullet to mob-style slayings, Angel's will to live surges. Although she manages to elude them at a dance club, Tony later shoots her in the back, but she escapes from the hospital before Rossellini can perform a mercy killing. Crazy like a fox, Angel proves a worthy adversary for Rossellini — and a dangerous love interest for Tony. Yes, it's yet another darkly comic romp about philosophical hitmen, but don't let it be said that this outre movie, set somewhere between Quentin Tarantino-ville and David Lynch country, lacks the courage of its weird convictions. Its message: Killers are born, not made. Amusingly, Angel's insanity gives her an advantage as a candidate for Assassin's Training School. In this existential comedy of manners, merrily enacted by Belushi and Lee, murder becomes her emancipation. Had David Corley's direction exuded more subtlety and his script spent less time on Tony's death drills, the result might have been a bull's eye.
Cast & Details See all »
- Released: 1999
- Rating: R
- Review: After Chicago mob enforcer Tony (Kyle Chandler) shows lethal promise, his capo, Uncle Vinnie (Jon Polito), foots the bill for his intensive training by Rossellini (Jim Belushi), L.A. affiliate. Cocky Tony disparages the crash course, which entails target p… (more)
- 1. DC's Legends of Tomorrow Proved It's in a League of Its Own with a Cosmically Fun Finale
- 2. Everything We Know About the Arrowverse's (Potential) Batwoman Spin-Off
- 3. Where to Watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- 4. OMFG, Is Diggle About to Become the Green Lantern on Arrow?
- 5. Sophia Bush Calls Out One Tree Hill Producers for Taking Advantage of Cast's Personal Lives
- 6. Ellen Pompeo Says She Hasn't Spoken to Patrick Dempsey Since He Left Grey's Anatomy
- 7. Power Crew Member Killed in On-Set Accident