Groomed by Paramount as a successor to Marie Dressler (who died in 1934), Boland--who had, for the most part, played fluttery scatterbrains, as in RUGGLES OF RED GAP (1935)--was here shifted to a Dressler-style role as the tough but soft-hearted owner of Mary Grady's Chowder House in San
Francisco. Reporter Ford, a chowderhound, writes a newspaper story about gruff widow Boland's prodigal son, Nace, missing these 15 years. The story is scanned by Woods, a drifter on the lam for a murder he tried to prevent. Woods sees a chance to adopt a new persona, so he presents himself as the
prodigal. Boland and her adopted daughter, Haydon, are skeptical at first, but when detective Imhof nears his quarry, the two women leap to the lad's defense. Woods spots a picture of Boland's late husband, and notices a resemblance that convinces him that the murder was committed by the true
missing son. With Boland and Ford hot on the trail of the latter, warm-hearted Woods does all he can to frustrate their finding Nace, despite the danger to himself. All to no avail: the seafood-serving sleuth snares her son, who is butchered by police bullets after acknowledging his parentage.
Well directed by the celebrated German filmmaker Dupont (VARIETY, 1928), who, after an unsuccessful Hollywood career, dropped out of movies for a 10-year period to become a talent agent, then returned to direct a number of low-budget films.
Cast & Details See all »
- Rating: NR
- Review: Groomed by Paramount as a successor to Marie Dressler (who died in 1934), Boland--who had, for the most part, played fluttery scatterbrains, as in RUGGLES OF RED GAP (1935)--was here shifted to a Dressler-style role as the tough but soft-hearted owner of M… (more)
- 1. DC's Legends of Tomorrow Proved It's in a League of Its Own with a Cosmically Fun Finale
- 2. Everything We Know About the Arrowverse's (Potential) Batwoman Spin-Off
- 3. Where to Watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- 4. OMFG, Is Diggle About to Become the Green Lantern on Arrow?
- 5. Sophia Bush Calls Out One Tree Hill Producers for Taking Advantage of Cast's Personal Lives
- 6. Ellen Pompeo Says She Hasn't Spoken to Patrick Dempsey Since He Left Grey's Anatomy
- 7. Power Crew Member Killed in On-Set Accident