Its heart is in the right place, but this sweet drama just doesn't build enough true drama from its slender premise. That said, it's not bad enough to merit the kind of stealth release its studio has imposed on it. Big-city trial lawyer Russ Durrell (Vince
Vaughn) has taken a detour from the rat race, but not a voluntary one: The abrupt departure of his wife Kate (Monica Potter) 18 months ago left him saddled with mischievous preschooler Calvin (Bobby Moat), and Russ's corporate law firm gave him the boot when he started spending more time rearing
his boy than billing clients. A college buddy steps in and gives Russ a job at his firm, but small-town life frustrates Russ, and the cumulative pressures of single fatherhood are wearing him down. And Russ's attempts to get a better job in the city are blocked by the kind of problems with which
single moms everywhere are all too familiar, including absentee baby-sitters and Cal's never-ending needs. Then Russ meets Beth (Joey Lauren Adams), and sparks fly -- until their fledgling romance is interrupted by Kate's sudden reappearance. The amazing chemistry between real-life flames Vaughn
and Adams is a plus here, and their sex scenes generate some real heat. But they only emphasize how flat and enervated most of this one-twist melodrama is: By the time the filmmakers try to inject a note of complexity into the painfully straightforward story they've laid out, it's just too late.
Sure, virtuous Russ and his problems are relevant to this crazy, mixed-up world. But they don't exactly amount to a hill of beans.
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Essential Marvel Movies to Watch Before Avengers: Endgame
- 2. Phil Keoghan Predicts the Final Two Teams of The Amazing Race Season 31
- 3. What to Stream the Weekend of April 26
- 4. Dallas Star Ken Kercheval Dead at 83
- 5. Taraji P Henson and Terrence Howard Write Letter Campaigning for Jussie Smollett's Return for Empire Season 6
- 6. 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' Is Game of Thrones' Best Episode Ever
- 7. Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen Are Still United in These Game of Thrones Episode 3 Photos