1. Because he was always optimistic
"It's a beautiful day to save lives!"
2. Because he always thought of Meredith, even in a
"The first time I kissed my wife, she wasn't my wife then, she was just this girl in a bar. But when we kissed, it was like ... I gotta tell you, it like I'd never kissed any other woman before. It was like my first kiss. The right kiss."
3. Because he was an adorable dad
"I just got Zola her first fishing pole. It's pink."
4. Because he was brave and empathetic in the face of danger
"I didn't become a doctor because I wanted to be god. I became a doctor because I wanted to save lives. Look at me. Please look at me in the eye. I'm a human being. I make mistakes, I'm flawed, we all are."
5. Because he hated (but probably secretly loved) his nickname
"Don’t 'McDreamy' me."
6. Because he wasn't afraid to have relationship talks
"So we're kissing, but we're not dating?"
7. Because he always had the best pillow talk
"You were like coming up for fresh air."
Because he could be McBrilliant and McFlirty at the same time
"You are so sexy when you are looking at a teratoma."
9. Because he was adorably outdoorsy
"Mountain men in the wild, men being men!"
10. Because he refused to cheat on Rose with
"In order to kiss you the way I want to kiss you, in order to do more than kiss you, I need to speak to Rose. I want my conscience clear so I can do more than kiss you. Stay here. Don't move. Wait for me."
11. Because he paid attention to details
"It was a Thursday morning, you were wearing that ratty little Dartmouth T-shirt you look so good in, the one with the hole in the back of the neck. You'd just washed your hair and you smelled like some kind of flower. I was running late for surgery. You said you were going to see me later, and you leaned to me, you put your hand on my chest and you kissed me."
12. Because he wasn’t
afraid to express his feelings to his bros
"She’s not a midlife crisis. She’s the real thing."
13. Because he was so rightfully confident
"I have a reputation for arrogance."