- Began wearing his trademark bow ties in the ninth grade, he says (though he stopped wearing them in early 2006).
- Met his wife, Susie, while at prep school in Rhode Island. She was the headmaster's daughter.
- Began his journalism career in 1993 at Little Rock's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, where he was an editorial writer.
- Left CNN in the wake of a heated 2004 exchange with Jon Stewart on Crossfire, shortly before the longtime political shoutfest was canceled; surfaced on MSNBC in early 2005.
- Was a contestant on the reality show Dancing With the Stars in 2006.
- In 2009, became a senior fellow at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank in Washington, D.C.
- Is an avid Grateful Dead fan.
- J. William Fulbright — Great-uncle
- Buckley Carlson — Brother
- Hopie Carlson — Daughter
- Patricia Caroline Swanson Carlson — Stepmother
- Susie Andrews — Wife
- Buckley Carlson — Son
- Dorothy Carlson — Daughter
- Lillie Carlson — Daughter
- Richard W. Carlson — Father
- Attended Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, United States
- 1. Someone's Got a New Wife on The Big Bang Theory
- 2. How to Watch All the New Year's Day College Football Bowl Games
- 3. 2018-2019 TV Scorecard: Which Shows Are Canceled? Which Are Renewed?
- 4. Elementary To End After Season 7
- 5. Making a Murderer Filmmakers Sued By Manitowoc Police Sergeant
- 6. SMILF's Frankie Shaw Under Investigation for Mishandled Sex Scenes, Discriminatory Behavior
- 7. How to Watch Elf This Holiday Season