A former construction worker, Tom Welling was first discovered by a photographer's scout at a bar in Nantucket, Mass. That providential meeting led to high-profile modeling assignments for Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein. But Welling had aspirations beyond modeling and began going on acting auditions, which landed him several commercials. In 2001, he made his TV acting debut on Judging Amy as Amy Brenneman's much-younger beau. His initial three-arc story quickly turned into six episodes after favorable viewer responses. That same year, Welling was offered the role of a young Clark Kent on Smallville. But he was wary of typecasting and turned down the role twice before finally accepting the iconic part of the future Superman. A couple of big-screen roles followed, most notably as Steve Martin's eldest son in Cheaper by the Dozen, but Welling remains inextricably linked to his small-screen alter ego.
- Was a construction worker and Abercrombie & Fitch model.
- Was friends with Ashton Kutcher during their modeling days.
- Turned down two auditions for the role of Clark Kent before finally accepting it.
- Directed several episodes of Smallville.
- Is part Native American.
- Mark Welling — Brother
- Jamie White — Ex-wife
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Jessica Alba and Gabrielle Union Speak Out About the Tragic Accident on the Set of L.A.'s Finest
- 2. Pick Your Favorite Ships and We'll Reveal Your TV Soulmate
- 3. The Queer Eye's Fab 5 Love Up on Each Other in This Video and It's Too Pure
- 4. Listen to Big Brother Brothers: The Ultimate Unofficial Podcast From TV Guide
- 5. How Everyone in Netflix's Dark Is Connected
- 6. Murder Mystery Review: The Real Mystery Is How Adam Sandler's New Film Is Decent
- 7. Anthony Bourdain's Graphic Novel Is Being Turned Into an Animated Series