- Became interested in rock-and-roll music after meeting Elvis Presley at age 10 (1961); decided to become a rock musician after seeing The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show.
- First solo album, 1989's Full Moon Fever, charted as high as No. 3 and went triple platinum.
- Played the Bridge City mayor in Kevin Costner's 1997 film The Postman.
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1999, and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
- Began hosting a show called Buried Treasure on XM satellite radio in 2005.
- Had a recurring guest role on the Fox animated comedy King of the Hill; voiced the character of Elroy "Lucky" Kleinschmidt, who occasionally played guitar in the band Big Mountain Fudgecake.
- 1995, Grammy — Best Male Rock Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1989, Grammy — Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: Winner
- 2008, Grammy — Best Long Form Music Video: Winner
- Bruce Petty — Brother
- Anna Kim Petty — Daughter
- Adria Petty — Daughter
- Jane Benyo — Ex-wife
- Dana York — Wife
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Walking Dead's Latest Victims Say Goodbye and Thank You to Fans
- 2. Everything We Know About Apple's Streaming Service, Apple TV+
- 3. The Case Against Adnan Syed Is the Retrial He May Never Get
- 4. The 100's Bob Morley Says Bellamy Will Spend Season 6 Rebuilding Trust with Clarke
- 5. Everything We Know About Apple TV+ Shows
- 6. Here's the Game of Thrones Season Maisie Williams Thinks Fans Should Revisit Ahead of Season 8
- 7. The Resident and 9-1-1 Renewed for Season 3 at Fox