- Childhood friends with---and Northern Michigan University roommate of--- former NFL head coach Steve Mariucci.
- 1990 inductee into the NMU Hall of Fame.
- Promoted in 1995 to head coach at Michigan State upon the retirement of Jud Heathcote.
- Named the 1998 AP National Coach of the Year.
- Won the 1998 Henry Iba Award for the college-basketball coach of the year as determined by the U.S. Basketball Writers of America.
- Named the Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1998 and 2009.
- Coached MSU to the 2000 national title.
- Prior to 2009, promised Spartans fans that he would shave his head if MSU won the Big Ten conference title outright. (MSU won by four games over Purdue.)
- Surpassed Heathcote as the winningest coach in MSU history with his 341st on Nov. 29, 2009, a 106-68 rout over Massachusetts in the Legends Classic.
- Summer 2010, Izzo was linked to the head-coaching job with the Cleveland Cavaliers, but could not talk to LeBron James, who subsequently signed as a free agent with the Miami Heat. At a June 15, 2010, press conference, he said "I'm pleased to say I am here for life at Michigan State."
- In December 2010, received a one-game suspension for a secondary NCAA rules infraction regarding employment of a person with a connection to a potential recruit.
- Raquel Izzo — Daughter
- Steven Izzo — Son
- Lupe Izzo — Wife
- Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Michigan, United States (BS, 1977)
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The 100: Is This the End of Clarke as We Know Her?
- 2. How NCIS Pulled Off That Shocking Return in the Season 16 Finale
- 3. HBO Confirms Game of Thrones Spin-Offs Won't Feature Future Westeros
- 4. Game of Thrones' Water Bottle Culprit Revealed in the Final Dolls of Thrones Recap
- 5. Stranger Things' New Coke Teaser Wants You To Believe New Coke Was Good
- 6. Clarke is Getting Sexy in These New The 100 Photos!
- 7. The Bachelorette Is Ruled by F-Boys