- Childhood friends with---and Northern Michigan University roommate of--- former NFL head coach Steve Mariucci.
- 1990 inductee into the NMU Hall of Fame.
- Promoted in 1995 to head coach at Michigan State upon the retirement of Jud Heathcote.
- Named the 1998 AP National Coach of the Year.
- Won the 1998 Henry Iba Award for the college-basketball coach of the year as determined by the U.S. Basketball Writers of America.
- Named the Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1998 and 2009.
- Coached MSU to the 2000 national title.
- Prior to 2009, promised Spartans fans that he would shave his head if MSU won the Big Ten conference title outright. (MSU won by four games over Purdue.)
- Surpassed Heathcote as the winningest coach in MSU history with his 341st on Nov. 29, 2009, a 106-68 rout over Massachusetts in the Legends Classic.
- Summer 2010, Izzo was linked to the head-coaching job with the Cleveland Cavaliers, but could not talk to LeBron James, who subsequently signed as a free agent with the Miami Heat. At a June 15, 2010, press conference, he said "I'm pleased to say I am here for life at Michigan State."
- In December 2010, received a one-game suspension for a secondary NCAA rules infraction regarding employment of a person with a connection to a potential recruit.
- Steven Izzo — Son
- Raquel Izzo — Daughter
- Lupe Izzo — Wife
- Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Michigan, United States (BS, 1977)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Trailer for The Terror: Infamy Will Make Your Skin Crawl
- 2. Netflix's 2019 Originals: A Comprehensive Guide
- 3. Meet Your Host for American Love Island, Comedian Arielle Vandenberg
- 4. Maya Rudolph Deserves an Emmy Nomination for Giving Us Life… After Death in Forever
- 5. Give Hank Azaria's Foul F—ing Mouth on Brockmire an Emmy Nomination
- 6. Riverdale's Season 4 Premiere Will 'Honor' Luke Perry
- 7. Jason Momoa Would 100 Percent Do a Twins Remake with Peter Dinklage