- Considered riding motorbikes professionally before deciding to attend film school.
- Got his start in the industry by directing V-Cinema (direct-to-video) films in Japan.
- Debut feature film was the 1995 crime drama Shinjuku Triad Society.
- Ranked 10th on Time magazine's 1997 list of the most promising directors in the world.
- Filmed more than 50 TV-movies and theatricals between 1995 and 2005.
- First English-speaking role was in Hostel (2005).
- His contribution to Showtime's Masters of Horror anthology, Imprint (2005), was deemed too graphic to air on the cable channel and was only released on the DVD collection.
- Though he's best known for his violent and sexually perverse works, Miike directs films from a wide range of genres, including teen dramas, comedies and children's movies.
- Yokohama Vocational School of Broadcast and Film, Yokohama, Japan