- Moved frequently when she was growing up since her father was an Army officer; her family lived in such cities as Frankfurt, Seoul and Honolulu.
- Began her showbiz career as a top fashion model for the Ford Agency; appeared on the covers of Vogue, Bazaar and Cosmopolitan.
- Made her film debut in Savages (1972).
- Auditioned for Lois Lane in Superman (1978), but the role went to Margot Kidder.
- Created a semiprecious jewelry line called Susan Blakely Designs.
- 1984, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress for a Single Appearance in a Drama or Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1976, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series: Nominee
- 1977, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Winner
- Todd Merer — Ex-husband
- Lawrence Blakely — Father
- Weezie Blakely — Mother
- Stephen Jaffe — Husband
- Attended University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, United States; attended Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre, New York, New York, United States