- Started career in broadcast news as an intern at WKYT in Lexington while still attending Eastern Kentucky University.
- Spent 18 years as a weatherman for ABC's New York affiliate, WABC.
- Had cancer surgery, broadcast live on Good Morning America on May 12, 2010, to remove a basal-cell carcinoma from his shoulder.
- Volunteers with several charity organizations, including the Multiple Sclerosis Society and the March of Dimes Foundation.
- New York City-based indie rock band Sam Champion is named after him.
- Teresa — Sister
- Sylvia Champion — Mother
- Rubem Robierb — Husband
- James H. Champion — Father
- Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky, United States (BA in Broadcast News)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Jessica Alba and Gabrielle Union Speak Out About the Tragic Accident on the Set of L.A.'s Finest
- 2. Pick Your Favorite Ships and We'll Reveal Your TV Soulmate
- 3. The Queer Eye's Fab 5 Love Up on Each Other in This Video and It's Too Pure
- 4. Listen to Big Brother Brothers: The Ultimate Unofficial Podcast From TV Guide
- 5. How Everyone in Netflix's Dark Is Connected
- 6. Murder Mystery Review: The Real Mystery Is How Adam Sandler's New Film Is Decent
- 7. Anthony Bourdain's Graphic Novel Is Being Turned Into an Animated Series