The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
Let's Talk About Sex on TV, Baby
Sex Ed Week explores the ways TV is pushing boundaries forward – and the ways it still lets us down
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Bellamy and Echo Will Be a 'Great Unit' in The 100 Season 6
- 2. Station 19 Just Tried to Pull a This Is Us with Chief Ripley
- 3. Grey's Anatomy: Jo's Downward Spiral Is Going to Ruin Her Life
- 4. All the Easter Eggs You Missed From The Twilight Zone, Legacies, Game of Thrones, and More
- 5. Everything We Know About The Handmaid's Tale Season 3 So Far
- 6. Star Trek: Discovery's Ethan Peck on Spock's Finale Struggle and Season 3 Return
- 7. Tyler Blackburn Talks LGBTQ Representation on Roswell, New Mexico