- Worked as a newsreader at a Japanese radio station in Escolta during World War II.
- After the American liberation, she worked as a nurse at the National Chest Center in San Lazaro Hospital.
- Was discovered by director Luis Nolasco in 1947 while she was walking past the set of the film Fort Santiago and was offered a small role immediately.
- Received the FAMAS Award for her role in Sonny Boy (1955).
- Married only for five days as her husband Walter Gayda left her on the fifth day of their honeymoon.
- Has been a proud volunteer for the Philippine Red Cross for 62 years and was appointed to its Board of Governors in 2014.
- Hosted the public service talk show Damayan for 35 years until it concluded in 2010.
- Was acknowledged for her humanitarian activities in 1999 with the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service.
- Received the Ading Fernando Lifetime Achievement Award at the 22nd PMPC Star Awards for TV (2008).
- Recipient of the 2012 University of Philippines Gawad Plaridel for her outstanding contributions to the broadcasting industry.
- Established Women's Crisis Center and Red Cross Program for disadvantaged women.
- Walter Gayda — Ex-husband
- Toni Rose Gayda — Daughter
- Don Dano — Brother