- Recorded 39 career sacks in college, with 14 in his final year.
- Taken by the Chicago Bears in the eighth round (203rd overall) in the 1983 NFL draft.
- Amassed a franchise record 17.5 sacks in his second season with the Bears.
- In 1985, Dent and Defensive Player of the Year Mike Singletary led the Bears to a 46-10 win over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XX. Dent was named the MVP of the game.
- At retirement, Dent was tied for second in number of seasons with double digits in sacks with eight (all of which were achieved in a Bears uniform), and third in career sacks with 137.5.
- Was elected to the Tennessee State University Sports Hall of Fame in 1993.
- Won a second title with the San Francisco 49ers (Super Bowl XXIX), despite being injured most of the year.
- Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame with the 2011 class, which included Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Ed Sabol, Shannon Sharpe, Chris Hanburger and Les Richter.
- Mary Frances Dent — Mother
- Leslie Dent — Wife
- Attended Tennessee State, Nashville, Tennessee, United States