- Met Charlie Higson at university in 1977 and the two became friends, working together in The Fast Show.
- Dropped out of university after a year and started working as a decorator.
- Was inspired to write comedy after working as a tradesman on a house that was shared by actors Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.
- His catchphrase "Suits you, sir" was voted one of the greatest comedy catchphrases of all time by British broadcaster Channel 4 viewers in 2008.
- Is a keen angler and took part in a charity fundraiser for Sense with Chris Tarrant, where they competed to catch the biggest trout, in 2012.
- Changed his entire look for a television commercial for Aviva, dressing as a biker with a full beard and tattoos in 2013.
- 2002, BAFTA Television Awards — Best Situation Comedy: Nominee
- 2015, BAFTA Television Awards — Best Scripted Comedy: Nominee
- Molly — Daughter
- Sophie — Daughter
- Fiona Whitehouse — Ex-wife
- Lauren — Daughter
- Harry Whitehouse — Father
- Natalie Rogers — Ex-significant Other
- Anita Whitehouse — Mother
- Attended University of East Anglia, Norwich, England
- 1. Riverdale: What the Actual Hell Is Hiram Up To?
- 2. Power Boss Honors 'Beloved' Crew Member Killed in On-Set Accident
- 3. At Long Last, Jeffrey Dean Morgan Is Headed Back to Supernatural!
- 4. Miley Cyrus Confirms She's Going to Be in Black Mirror Season 5
- 5. What to Stream the Weekend of Dec. 14
- 6. The Cast and Creators of Good Trouble Tease Callie and Mariana's Sexy Fresh Start
- 7. A Million Little Things Bumps a Shondaland Show in New ABC Lineup