- Along with brother Morgan, became the first set of twins to compete in the same Olympic games (2000).
- Became the first American to win the Olympic all-around competition in 2004 after jumping 12 spots in two events.
- Was passed over for the traditional Olympic champion Wheaties box cover for swimmer Michael Phelps, sprinter Justin Gatlin and fellow gymnast Carly Patterson.
- Voted one of People magazine's most eligible bachelors in 2004.
- Gave up competing after the 2004 Olympics to complete his degree at Ohio State.
- Won the Winter Cup Challenge all-around title in his first event since returning to competition in March 2008.
- Betsy Hamm — Sister
- Cecily Hamm — Mother
- Morgan Hamm — Brother
- Sandy Hamm — Father
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, United States (BA in Accounting, 2007)