- Was expelled from 13 grammar schools; quit school and ran away from home at the age of 17.
- Worked his first job as a bouncer at a Soho strip club.
- Had no acting experience prior to making films.
- In 1961, landed his first starring role as the title character in The Curse of the Werewolf.
- Had a near fatal accident on the set of The Three Musketeers (1973) when he was stabbed in the throat during a dueling scene.
- In 1979, wrote the autobiography Reed All About Me, detailing his dramatic life.
- Passed away during the filming of Gladiator (2000); director Ridley Scott had to digitally re-create his likeness in order to complete the film.
- 2001, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Mark Thurloe Reed — Son
- Simon Reed — Brother
- Josephine Burge — Wife
- David Reed — Brother
- Carol Reed — Uncle
- Jacqueline Daryl — Ex-significant Other
- Peter Reed — Father
- Kate Byrne — Ex-wife
- Sarah — Daughter
- Marcia Reed — Mother