- Worked as a carpenter to pay his college tuition.
- Took a year off from college, during which he spent time at a Tibetan monastery.
- Planned on a career in politics before switching to acting.
- Interned at the White House during the Clinton administration.
- Founded a software company after college.
- Worked as a producer and copywriter for the NPR program Weekly Edition.
- Enjoys outdoor activities, including biking, kayaking, hiking and snowboarding.
- Lives in a house he designed and built himself.
- Is a published poet.
- 2014, People's Choice Awards — Favorite TV Bromance: Winner
- 2015, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor: Winner
- Victoria Vantoch — Wife
- West Anaximander Collins — Son
- Maison Marie Collins — Daughter
- Sasha Krushnic — Brother
- ReBekka Tippens — Mother
- University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States (AB in Sociology, 1997)