The trailer for Mugabe and the which will play at the 2010 San Francisco Film Festival. Michael Campbell, the white African of the title, charges President Robert Mugabe with a racist land reform policy and takes him to court. Once the largest mango producer in Zimbabwe, Campbell one of a dwindling number of white farmers takes this bold, unprecedented step in an attempt to keep his farm from distribution to government ministers and cronies. Says codirector Lucy Bailey, It s an intimate story of a family, but through their case you get the bigger picture of what is going on inside Zimbabwe. The seasoned documentary team makes the most of that focus, putting the lives and convictions of the engaging Campbell and his English son-in-law, Ben Freeth, at the unabashed center of the film Freeth and Campbell even filmed critical scenes themselves with a tiny A1 camera. It s Freeth who poses the central question: If a white man can be American or Australian, why not African? Andrew Thompson s cinematography, shot with a large-format camera he smuggled into the country, conveys the lush vastness and visual beauty of Campbell s Mount Carmel farm and its black workers daily labor. Mugabe, a menacing shadow, is present only in news clips and voiceovers, while the musical score conveys a palpable sense of dread. Despite successive government stall tactics and a brutal attack on the family, the outcome of the case is uncertain until the end. Who will win? And what would that mean?
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Here's Your First Look at Looking for Alaska's Culver Creek Prep
- 2. The Boys Review: Eric Kripke's New Superhero Show Is Much More Than Its Edgelord Premise
- 3. Lifetime Is Doing a Movie on the College Admissions Scandal, Obviously
- 4. Janelle Monae to Replace Julia Roberts in Homecoming Season 2
- 5. Big Brother 21 Brought Bullying Issues to the Surface. Now What?
- 6. Tiffany Haddish Puts Six Comedians in the Spotlight in Netflix Special They Ready
- 7. The Orange Is the New Black Refresher You Need Before Season 7