A well-respected physician who preaches the benefits of healthy living on numerous television series, notably Oprah Winfrey, Oz is the vice chairman of surgery at Columbia University, the director of the Cardiovascular Institute, and the founder of the Complementary Medicine Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital. Perpetually optimistic and possessing an easygoing TV-side manner, the scrubs-sporting doc has hosted a number of specials and series, including Second Opinion with Dr. Oz on the Discovery Health channel. He has also penned myriad articles on medicine and coauthored a series of best-selling books, including YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: The Smart Patient, with his frequent collaborator, Dr. Michael F. Roizen. In 2009, Oz hit another career milestone with the launch of his syndicated talk show, The Dr. Oz Show, which is co-produced by Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions.
- Was named Turkish American of the Year in 1996, and speaks Turkish fluently.
- Took time off from medical school to serve in the Turkish army in order to retain his dual citizenship.
- Has coauthored a number of medical advice books, including Healing from the Heart (1999), which won a Books for a Better America Award, and the bestselling YOU: The Owners Manual (2005).
- Served as a consultant on heart transplantation for the Denzel Washington medical thriller John Q (2002).
- Has appeared frequently on daytime talk show Oprah Winfrey; the host returned the favor with an appearance on Oz's limited-run Discovery Health series Second Opinion with Doctor Oz.
- Named to numerous "best doctor" lists, including New York Magazine's "Best Doctors of the Year," Healthy Living Magazine's "Healers of the Millennium" and Hippocrates Magazine's "Doctors of the Year."
- Launched his own syndicated talk show, The Dr. Oz Show, in 2009.
- Daphne Oz — Daughter
- Zoe Oz — Daughter
- Arabella Oz — Daughter
- Lisa Oz — Wife
- Mustafa Oz — Father
- Oliver Oz — Son
- Suna Oz — Mother
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States (BA, 1982); University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine/Wharton School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (MD, 1986/MBA, 1986)
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The 100: Is This the End of Clarke as We Know Her?
- 2. How NCIS Pulled Off That Shocking Return in the Season 16 Finale
- 3. HBO Confirms Game of Thrones Spin-Offs Won't Feature Future Westeros
- 4. Game of Thrones' Water Bottle Culprit Revealed in the Final Dolls of Thrones Recap
- 5. Stranger Things' New Coke Teaser Wants You To Believe New Coke Was Good
- 6. Clarke is Getting Sexy in These New The 100 Photos!
- 7. The Bachelorette Is Ruled by F-Boys