- Father was the acclaimed Washington Post sportswriter Shirley Povich; consequently he was very interested in sports as a youngster and even worked as a batboy for the American League's old Washington Senators.
- Began career as a news reporter and sportscaster for WTTG-TV in Washington, DC.
- First met Connie Chung in 1969 when they both worked at WTTG; he was an anchor and she was a copy girl. Years later they were briefly coanchors for KCBS (formerly KNXT) in Los Angeles.
- Won a 1984 Emmy for Best Co-anchor for 10 O'Clock News on WTTG-TV and was nominated for a 1989 Emmy for Best Informational Series for A Current Affair.
- Coauthored Current Affairs: A Life on the Edge in 1991, a retrospective about the TV show he hosted from 1986 to 1991.
- Launched a weekly newspaper in Flathead Valley, MT, called the Flathead Beacon in 2007.
- Matthew Jay Povich — Son
- David Povich — Brother
- Susan — Daughter
- Shirley Povich — Father
- Lynn Povich — Sister
- Ethyl Povich — Mother
- Amy — Daughter
- Connie Chung — Wife
- Phyllis Minkoff — Ex-wife
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (1962)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Bachelor in Paradise Finale: Buy Demi, Hold Blake, Sell Chris Bukowski
- 2. Peter Weber to Captain The Bachelor Season 24
- 3. SEAL Team Showrunner Steps Down Following CBS Investigation
- 4. The Rookie Investigation Finds No Wrongdoing Following Afton Williamson's Harassment Allegations
- 5. A Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 Romance Is Definitely Happening: 3 Ideas Who It Could Be
- 6. Here's a First Look at Rihanna's Savage X Fenty Show on Amazon
- 7. 10 Things We Learned About Friends From the Tell-All Book Generation Friends