- Got involved with gymnastics after being diagnosed with ADHD as a child.
- Won a bronze medal on pommel horse at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, becoming the first Briton to win a medal in the individual gymnastics at the Olympic Games since Walter Tysall in 1908.
- Auditioned for The X Factor in 2008.
- At the 2012 Olympics in London, won a silver medal in the pommel horse and a bronze medal as part of the men's gymnastic team.
- Took part in the 2012 series of Strictly Come Dancing and won with partner Flavia Cacace.
- Was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 2013 for his services to gymnastics.
- Held a master class for pupils at Ashville College in Harrogate in 2015 to inspire the next generation of gymnasts.
- Won a silver medal in the men's pommel horse at the 2016 Olympics in London, behind teammate Max Whitlock.
- Lucy Mecklenburgh — Ex-significant Other
- Claude Smith — Father
- Leon — Brother
- Elaine Petch — Mother