- Got her start in Broadway productions of Hair, Dreamgirls and Bob Fosse's Big Deal.
- Has appeared in several David E. Kelley TV series, including Ally McBeal, Boston Public and Boston Legal.
- Has earned multiple NAACP Image Awards, including wins for her work in Waiting to Exhale, The Preacher's Wife and Boston Public.
- Appeared in the 2006 film adaptation of Dreamgirls as a jazz singer; Devine originated the role of Lorrell Robinson during the show's first run on Broadway.
- Wrote and performed in the one-woman show Pieces of Me in 2011.
- Received the Pan African Film Festival's Life Time Achievement Award in 2012.
- Supports the Amazing Grace Conservatory, a performing arts center for at-risk youth.
- 2005, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Female: Nominee
- 2011, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Winner
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- University of Houston, Houston, Texas, United States (BA in Speech, 1971); Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, United States (MFA in Theater, 1976)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Pick Your Favorite Ships and We'll Reveal Your TV Soulmate
- 2. The Queer Eye's Fab 5 Love Up on Each Other in This Video and It's Too Pure
- 3. Listen to Big Brother Brothers: The Ultimate Unofficial Podcast From TV Guide
- 4. How Everyone in Netflix's Dark Is Connected
- 5. Murder Mystery Review: The Real Mystery Is How Adam Sandler's New Film Is Decent
- 6. Anthony Bourdain's Graphic Novel Is Being Turned Into an Animated Series
- 7. Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue: What's Fact and What's Fiction?