The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Here's How You Can Eat at Kenan and Kel's Good Burger IRL
- 2. This Is Us' Susan Kelechi Watson on the Importance of Cracking Beth's 'Supportive Wife' Mold
- 3. BH90210 'Revival' Recruits Christine Elise, aka Emily Valentine
- 4. Supernatural, Batwoman, Riverdale and More Get Fall Premiere Dates on The CW
- 5. The Worst Casualty of Jessica Jones' Final Season Was the Show's Female Friendship
- 6. What's Coming to and Leaving Hulu in July
- 7. Is The Good Place on Netflix?