- Was born underwater in an experimental tank known as a "bathysphere."
- In the early '90s, helped develop the "tow-in" surfing technique, which involves using watercraft such as jet skis to create and ride bigger waves.
- Invented the foilboard surfboard, which allows surfing in the deep ocean by adding hydrofoil technology to a traditional board.
- Performed stunt work for the big-budget action movies Waterworld (1995) and Die Another Day (2002).
- Took part in a six-day biking and paddle-surfing marathon from Malibu to Manhattan in 2009 to raise awareness and money for autism, Lou Gehrig's disease and cystic fibrosis.
- Has suffered numerous injuries while surfing, including broken ribs and ankles and separated shoulders.
- Surfs a notorious break off northern Maui known as Jaws, which features some of the largest and most powerful waves in the world, some reaching 50 feet in height.
- Joanne Hamilton — Mother
- Lyon Hamilton — Half Brother
- Izabela Hamilton — Daughter
- Brody Jo Hamilton — Daughter
- Reece Viola Hamilton — Daughter
- Billy Hamilton — Stepfather
- Gabrielle Reece — Wife
- Maria Souza — Ex-wife